The Path of Christian Discipleship

The Path of Christian Discipleship

Sunday, 30 March 2014

Bugs in a Can ...

Hello everyone,

I suppose I will first answer some questions that have been asked ...

Brenna, I will answer yours here too, because I have a lot of emails to answer this week that I've been putting off... sorry! I will email you next week if I run out of time this week. Thank you so much for writing me though, it is nice to hear from you! 

Koreans do eat salad, although the most common use they have for lettuce is at meat buffets, where they wrap meat in the lettuce. It is delicious! The craziest thing I have ever eaten... I ate pig intestines and a common food called 번대기 (I have no idea how to spell it, but is is just a bunch of bugs in a can). I haven't tried dog meat yet, but I'm assuming I will soon, as it is fairly common here. I go to a barber shop to get my haircut, there is one right outside my apartment. It gets hot and moist in Korea I've heard ... My last comp's clothes started to mould last summer :P And my current apartment building isn't very tall, only about six floors. Oh, and there are about 60 people in my ward (local church congregation), I would say.

Now for mother's questions ... 

All missionaries indeed sleep on those mats that you see. They are fine, you don't need to send me anything! Korea is indeed a proselyting mission. We have to report our contacts every week, which not all missions do I've heard. But the majority of our time as missionaries in Korea is spent on the streets! We don't really go out sight-seeing on pdays. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I've had very "old" companions, so they've already seen it all! I don't mind though, we do fun things on pdays. So no, I've not yet been to 강남 (Gangnam District). 

I love the food in Korea! At first it was quite the adjustment, but now I can hardly fathom being without some of the things I eat here! I've had three meals with members on my mission so far... so not that many :P ... but elder 박 (Woo) makes us food everyday, so I am happy!

This week was much the same, exerting similar efforts as I previously mentioned. Through all of my seemingly lonely moments struggling to convince others of the eternal love of our Heavenly Father, I have felt the Lord's presence in a much more real, almost palpable way. In the midst of so much doubt and negativity, I have come to know for myself the indisputable fact that there is a God, that He does love us, and has a deep desire to communicate with us and help us. There is no question in my mind. 

On my mission so far, I've seen several parents mourn for their children who slowly drifted away from the gospel. In that light, I wish to grant my parents perhaps the greatest gift I am capable of bestowing. That is the assurance that there is no force on earth or hell that can thwart my testimony in God, and in this work. I have seen the Lord's hand too many times and felt His love too profoundly to deny it. Thank you for the wonderful examples you have been to me; it has been a great strength to me and has solidified my testimony.

I love you all very much and pray for you everyday.

Love, Dallin


With President and Sister Morrise and my awesome trainer, Elder Miller.

My treasured family and missionary name tag.
One of the blessings of a mission - dedicated time every day to study the gospel.

At a local restaurant with the gang.

Korean food is an adjustment, but now I LOVE it!!

:)


Homemade Korean soup made with fresh ingredients.
This is what I eat pretty much everyday for breakfast - eggs and rice.

Outdoor fresh seafood offerings.

Okay ... nothin' says nummy like good ole Baskin Robbins - dig in Elders!

Missionaries out on the streets!

Who needs a weight room?!

No comments:

Post a Comment