The Path of Christian Discipleship

The Path of Christian Discipleship

Sunday, 6 April 2014

Continue in Patience

Hello everyone,

To answer mom's first question, I've not yet watched conference!! Korea doesn't get it until next week, so that's when we'll watch it. I'm dying to see it, especially with all the emails that I'm reading about it! But we'll watch it in English, along with the other missionaries in our ward. 

The Korean people, to my knowledge, do not sleep on mats. (Although, I've never seen a Korean bedroom, so I am not entirely sure!). And missionaries sleep on mats because we are missionaries, I suppose! I'm trying to learn how to sleep on my back, rather than my side, as I fear I might have some back problems soon if I don't change something! It is a work in progress. :) 

About pdays ... let's see, we used to play sports sometimes on pdays in my old area, but here we normally just go to a bathouse or just stay in the house and sleep. Today we are going to eat Taco Bell and go bowling. I called Elder Miller the other day and he can't find my camera charger ... he says he might have thrown it out, not knowing what it was. So, I'm not sure what to do :P Sorry. 

And to answer your last question, we go to the temple once a transfer (so every 6 weeks). ;)

Seeing as I've not told you about all of our investigators, I suppose I'll mention them now. We picked up two new ones recently, other than 김진영 and 이상래. The first, 신영빈, is the son of a woman who stopped us on the street and asked for our card. He goes to some strange Korean church (I was quite surprised to discover that there are many churches here in Korea that claim to be the "restored church" of Jesus Christ, so we have to present our message a little differently when talking to some people).

신영빈 goes to one of those "restoration" churches, but he believes that the second coming is coming as soon as his leader-prophet-person dies, which is likely going to be soon as he is fairly old. 신영빈 knows the bible several times better than I do and therefore pretty much takes over talking during gospel time teaching us about his church (we have a 6-week english/gospel program that we told him we would do with him, so we still meet with him). We've invited him to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it, but he insists that we must prove it's true before he reads it.

I have learned something significant during our meetings with 신영빈 however. I noticed a different feeling as he taught about his church. Constrasting that feeling to the way I normally feel, I recognized that I feel the spirit much more frequently than I thought I did. Since the spirit cannot testify of something that isn't true, I couldn't feel it as I listened to him teach us about his church, yet I feel the spirit almost all the time here on my mission, save those times that my thoughts or actions aren't in line with God's standards. It was an interesting experience.

Lastly, I will mention some ways the Lord answered my fervent prayers both for inspiration to help my companion and for his well-being generally. I was reading conference talks during my personal study time and came across two talks in particular which were heaven sent. The first was by Elder Bednar entitled, "Watching with all Perserverence." He outlines some things that parents can do to strengthen their children, but I strongly felt this talk was equally applicable to me in my current situation. You can look up the talk if you want, I don't have time to include the points he mentioned. 

Second, was a talk by President Uchtdorf. I don't remember much of what he said, but I do remember the force with which the title of the talk hit me: "Continue in Patience." I have been endeavoring my best lately to suppress feelings of frustration and replace them with cheerfulness and positivity. Doing such has not only tremendously blessed me personally, but has also, in some degree, made an impact on my companion (as evidenced by his question to me on wednesday).

One last thing I want to mention: we saw a fire yesterday! It was huge! 

We were walking over a bridge and saw some smoke coming from a building, so we walked towards it a little bit and saw a massive fire! We saw the firetrucks come, but didn't see them fight the fire, as we got smoked out and had to leave to preserve our lungs! YIKES!!

Love you all, sorry that I don't have any pictures. I'll try to figure out something to do.

Love, Dallin  

No comments:

Post a Comment