The Path of Christian Discipleship

The Path of Christian Discipleship

Sunday, 29 June 2014

My Purpose: To Invite

Hello again,

And hello grandma Sokol! It seems a little strange that she came this past week, since I have actually been thinking about her a lot this past week! If you didn't already know, my companion Elder DeMille is part Korean (his grandma is from Korea), so he is here learning the language of his ancestors. What a priviledge that is for him! I have been thinking lately that I want to learn Croatian when I get home... so I was thinking about grandma Sokol a lot this week! :P

But, that is still long away, thankfully... I still need to learn Korean first!! I hope this email finds you all safe and well. Thank you for the talks you sent me this week, mom, I enjoyed them very much. Also, thank you for reminding me that it is Canada day tomorrow dad. There is an elder I served with in my last area from California, who's birthday is on July 1st, so I think I will call him tomorrow and sing O Canada :)

Last tuesday, we taught our investigator, Jack. I'm not sure if I have mentioned anything about him; he was a missionary for the Jehovah's witness church for six years, but no longer attends. I realized  a very comforting truth as we met with him last time. My role as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints differs substantially from the role of other missionaries from other churches (I have had many opportunities to observe and interact with missionaries from many churches here). While they all, without exception, are trained to disprove and to convince (and in many instances are paid quite well to do so); my purpose is simply to invite.

Many ridicule our young age and inexperience; yet these contribute so beautifully to the very attributes that are required for our work: faith and humility. To me, it is truly humbling that God would call such young and inexperienced people and place such great trust in them. It is so comforting to know that I do not have to know all of our doctrine perfectly and battle against others to convince them of the truthfulness of this gospel. Rather, the Spirit fulfills this role that others strive so desperately to attain: it guides the honest seekers of truth to that which they seek, truth. All I have to do then, is strive to be obedient in my calling and invite others to find out for themselves, following the process that God has set for discovering truth, namely to read and to pray. I have seen this principle of guidance a few times this week.

On Wednesday, my companion and I were roaming the streets, endeavoring in every place to find those that were "seeking for truth." Visible fruits were few in the early hours of our labours, yet we persisted nevertheless. Some time during our ventures, we observed a driver with a peculiar disposition: he honked several times and swerved through many lanes of traffic to pull up beside us. With purpose, the lady sitting in the passenger seat threw open her door, and in broken English expressed great interest in coming to our church. Needless to say, Elder DeMille and I were a little surprised and had to satisfy ourselves that she was talking to the right people before we took down her number and were introduced to her family. Shortly after, we parted ways, promising to call and give her the address of our church so  she could attend with her family. It is not often that people are led so abruptly and suddenly to us, so this was a marvelous experience to be a part of.

On Sunday, we taught our investigator, 김대남 (kim day nam). We planned on teaching him the second half of the plan of salvation, as we had already taught most of the first half, but for some reason, we felt strongly that we should first review the first half with him again. Our review took much longer than we had initially expected, as he seemed to have many more questions.

Finally, we shared a scripture that we commonly share while teaching the plan of salvation, but I suppose we didn't the last time. The scripture was Alma 2:25 "Adam fell that men might be and men are that they might have joy." Our investigator paused and reflected a moment after he read this scripture. He told us that this is exactly what he was looking for, and even asked himself on the drive to our meeting how he could find more happiness. We told him with all the vigor in our beings that living by the principles in the gospel has brought us such great happiness, regardless of the circumstances we have been in. Both Elder DeMille and I feel grateful for the opportunity we had to help 김대남 find the truth he was looking for and hope this will have a lasting impact on his life.

In Preach My Gospel this week, I am focusing on teaching skills. I read a section that I quite appreciated. It admonished us to record blessings that we receive from living according to the principles in the missionary lessons, so that we can both better appreciate them and so that we can more readily share with others what blessings they can receive if they live similarly.

I hope you all have a great week! 


Love you lots, Dallin

An oasis in the concrete jungle ... the swelteringly hot, sticky, humid concrete jungle!

Elder DeMille with his new glasses and sisters looking in approvingly! :)

Little birthday party my district threw for me ... so awesome!


And can you beat this cake they made for me?!!
Typical, interesting, bustling street in Seoul ... always something interesting going on!

How's this for a beautiful sunset scene?

Elder "Angel" DeMille - looking sober and purposeful wouldn't you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment