The Path of Christian Discipleship

The Path of Christian Discipleship

Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Summer Seoul Sweat!

Hello again,

In consideration of your request, I am trying to think of things I did this past week in Korea that perhaps might seem strange to you. It is quite difficult for me, everything seems so normal! If you have any specific questions about the culture, that would be very helpful. 

This week, we did go to a 감자탕 restaurant with our investigator and a ward member (감자탕 is a soup with cow bone and potatoes in it. You could probably look it up for a better description). While we were there, our investigator convinced us to try a 고추 pepper. I took a great big bite out of it and though I do feel I am fairly accustomed to spicy food now, my eyes immediately started watering and my fingers and toes started to go numb. When I started to see stars, I was convinced I was going to pass out, but I made it! I have a picture of my companion eating the pepper, that I will send to you. Powerful stuff!!

The only other detail about Korean life that I can think of right now is the HEAT! (probably because I am sweating profusely right now, as I type!)  I think the heat itself would be fine, were it not for the humidity. I have simply gotten used to being wet all the time. I don't have time to wash my clothes everyday, so sometimes I just have to pick the pants and shirts that smell the best... :)

This week did not go exactly as we planned it to go, as the majority of our appointments cancelled for one reason or another and we unfortunately had to drop some investigators. So, a greater portion of our week was spent out on the hot streets talking to people that clearly did not want to be out in the heat! We did have an excellent zone training meeting this week, however, with the Book of Mormon as a major focus. I realized during the training, that although I do have a very solid testimony of this church, I can always strengthen it.

Upon serious self reflection, I came to the discovery that my testimony is centered primarily on the experience I had at Joseph's Legacy camp, about the restoration. I know the Book of Mormon is true because I know Joseph Smith was a prophet. This, I believe, is perhaps adequate for most purposes, yet I want to strengthen my general testimony by reapplying Moroni's challenge to read and pray about the Book of Mormon, this time with a more focused and detailed approach, in an attempt to cement the Book of Mormon alongside the restoration and the atonement in the foundation of my testimony (I have done something similar to this with the doctrine of the atonement; there is sooo much to study and learn from that event, the study of which is truly humbling). 

As part of my language study every morning, I also read two pages in the Korean Book of Mormon. Sometimes I have no idea what is going on, but it has helped my reading ability a lot, which is a skill that not very missionaries bother to develop, I have noticed.

Since the majority of my studies has been focused on the Book of Mormon, I have not had too much time to study PMG lately, although there was an announcement recently made by the missionary department that requires missionaries to teach all 5 lessons before baptism. Since I have hardly looked at lesson 5, let alone taught it, I will focus on that this week.

I heard that Jacob and Dad went to a Korean bbq in the mall the other day. How was it? Korean bbq is SO  good!! All korean food is good! My personal favorites are 닭갈비, 비빔밥 and 불고기. I will let you figure out what those are. ;)

I am trying to think of more things about Korea. We have not been to any bathouses recently, because we bathe enough in our sweat... :) They are not much fun to go to in the summer time. My Korean is coming along. I have learned to LOVE Korean study in the morning! It is so much fun! The best part is, there is so much to learn in Korean, with all of the different grammar forms and very specific vocabulary, I know for sure I will never run out of things to study! Korean is indeed an impressive language and it is a pleasure to have the opportunity to learn it.

Well, I can't think of anything else. I hope you have a great week! Love you tons!
Dallin

p.s. We got the package that you sent with all of the candy. Thank you so much!! :)

p.p.s I am sending a package soon with birthday gifts for everyone. If there is anything specific that you want, let me know!

Here are a few pics for the week ... enjoy!

In honour of Cananda Day, I proudly wear my colours!

Can't actually study like this for very long in the ridiculous summer heat/humidity!! ;) Oh, and I got my hair cut real short cause of the heat.

We go running every morning on this track just outside our apartment, so here I go!

Wish I could fly!

Elder DeMille after trying that HOT pepper ... it'll knock your lights out!

Koreans love Baskin Robbins ... and so do missionaries!!

With two of our investigators.

Green seaweed is a snack I've come to love ... and healthy.

As I said ... Korean is an impressive and challenging language.

The track we run on in the mornings, just outside our apartment.

Another view of the track ... some days I set up some hurdles from stuff laying around
and practice hurdles as well. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment