The Path of Christian Discipleship

The Path of Christian Discipleship

Monday, 26 January 2015

Charity Never Faileth

Hello, hello! 

It is always so good to hear from you all! I hope Ben is alright! It's never good to travel to the hospital in an ambulance! I had a similar experience this week, but will talk more of that later (don't worry mom ... all's well).

We just got out of a lesson with our Vietnamese investigator, 진수홍. He got very busy after accepting his baptismal date of February 14, and therefore has not been able to meet for about a week and a half. We are not quite sure if we will be able to help him be baptized on the date he agreed to, but we taught the plan of salvation and the word of wisdom today and discovered that he has no concerns whatsoever following the commandments and standards we taught him ... which is a miracle! He is progressing well.

We also picked up another investigator through a referral we received from a less active member. His name is 손유철 (Sone yoo chol). He works as a police officer and works two days on, then two days off, so hopefully he will have some time to meet!

On Thursday of this week, I saw the spirit work through my companion and I quite visibly. We went on exchanges with one of our district leaders and I had the chance to take this wonderful missionary to my area for the day. We normally conduct the training portion of exchanges during companionship study in the morning, and this exchange was no different. I felt impressed to talk about "charity and love." So I shared some of my thoughts and we read about charity in chapter 6 of Preach My Gospel

As I began to talk of ways we can effectively demonstrate charity to our companions, my temporary companion shared that charity was a major topic of his studies recently. He'd been having some struggles with his companion recently and consequently had been studying charity to help their relationship. He opened up to me and shared many of his thoughts and feelings and I was able to guide him to find some things he can apply in his relationship with his companion.

Later that evening, when Elder Lee and I were back together, we went to visit a family we had been trying unsuccessfully to visit for a while, and whom I felt impressed to visit in our planning session the night before. Not only did we successfully visit them this time, but we also met with a less active member who introduced himself to us en route to our visit - as well as one of my former investigators (both of whom live in my previous 부평 area). We were able to refer both of these people to the Elders in 부평 area

These random appointments put us slightly off schedule, so we had to decide whom we should visit of the two other members we put in our planners. Elder Lee and I both felt impressed to visit an elderly sister who recently lost her husband. On our way to her house, we witnessed a man get hit by a car! 

I will not include any of the gruesome details, but we were the only ones there to help this injured man and the shaken young man who hit him with his car, both of whom were understandably distressed and in shock.

Walking home, I was filled with the spirit, knowing that I had been an instrument in the Lord's hands to help accomplish His work among some of His children here in 인천. It was a good feeling.

I send my love! I hope you are all doing well. I love this gospel; it brings me such great joy to be laboring here in this little part of the Lord's vineyard. I know this is the Lord's work!


Love, Elder Higham

No comments:

Post a Comment